Halloween is an occasion that is associated with magic, mystery, and superstition. It is believed that many things that happen during Halloween have special implications, and these may affect a person’s luck or fate, or suggest the occurrence of certain spiritual events. Those who follow Halloween superstitions can ward off evil spirits and improve their luck, and they may even gain special abilities or uncover mysteries that pertain to their destinies. Here is a list of superstitions that are commonly observed during Halloween and other occasions.
1) A lit candle in a jack-o-lantern will drive evil spirits or demons away.
2) A person who gazes into the flame of a lit candle at night may be able to see future happenings.
3) A girl who carries a lamp to spring water at night may see her future husband’s reflection.
4) Lighting an orange-colored candle at exactly midnight and letting it burn until dawn will bring good luck.
5) A person who is born on Halloween day can communicate with spirits.
Good Luck Superstitions
1) Knock on wood.
2) Sleep facing south.
3) Walk in the rain
4) Pick up a penny.
Bad Luck Superstitions
1) Open umbrellas indoors.
2) Break a mirror.
3) Walk under ladder.
1) A person will get bad luck when a black cat crosses his or her path.
2) Letting a frog into the house will bring good luck.
3) A person who is followed by a stray black dog will soon encounter misfortune.
4) A ship will sink if rats are leaving it.
Playing Card Superstitions
1) Sitting cross-legged while playing cards will bring unfavorable results.
2) A person who drops a black card during play will most likely end up losing.
3) A player who blows a deck of cards after shuffling will get favorable cards.
4) Facing the door during play is the luckiest seat in the house.
1) A baby who has big ears will become a generous person.
2) A baby who is born on Sunday will be protected from evil spirits.
New Year’s Superstitions
1) Bills and debts should be paid off before New Year’s Day to ensure good luck the following year.
2) Wearing new clothes on New Year’s Day promises good luck.
New Home Superstitions
1) Hammering nails after sunset will bring bad luck.
2) Bringing a new broom into a new home will remove bad luck from the past.
3) Moving into a new home on a Friday, Saturday, or rainy day is not propitious.
1) Cutting hair on Good Friday will prevent headaches.
2) Dropping a comb while combing your hair will bring disappointments.
Acting and Stage Superstitions
1) Saying “good luck” to an actor or actress will bring bad luck. That is why it is common for people to say “break a leg” before a performance.
2) Bad dress rehearsals will result in successful openings.
1) Opening doors at midnight of Christmas Eve allows evil spirits to depart from a home.
2) Eating an apple on the day before Christmas will make a person healthy throughout the following year.
3) Hanging stockings by the chimney will bring good fortune.
1) A person who sees himself or herself in a dream will die soon.
2) When a bird enters a home, it foretells the death of someone in the family.
3) Wearing new shoes or clothes to a funeral will bring misfortune.
1) Those who get married on a rainy day will experience great sorrow during their married lives.
2) When a wedding dress is ripped on the eve of a wedding day, it is likely that the marriage will result in death.
3) The first spouse to fall asleep first on their first night together will be the one to die first.
For more interesting and unusual superstitions, see:
Written by Michael S. Atwood