Dinosaurs seem like something made up for a movie, but these incredible creatures actually existed! Despite what The Flintstones would have us believe, dinosaurs died out around 65 million years ago, so humans never got to see them in action (and they definitely didn’t keep them as pets). The word “dinosaur” means “terrible lizard,” but they weren’t all bad. Sure, some of the meat eaters were scary (looking in your direction, T-Rex), but the Brontosaurus was a gentle giant.
You can pretend to be one of these prehistoric creatures with costumes from Costume SuperCenter. We have dinosaur costumes for babies, toddlers, children, and adults. We even have pet costumes, so you can dress your furry friend up as a ferocious beast!
You might think you’re a dinosaur expert, but it’s time to learn something new. This interesting infographic will teach you some fun facts about these larger-than-life-reptiles.
- Dinosaurs lived during the Mesozoic Era, which includes the Triassic, Jurassic, and Cretaceous periods. This era took place 230 million years ago to 65 million years ago.
- The biggest plant-eating dinosaurs weighed more than 100 tons and had to eat up to a ton of food each day.
- Scientists weren’t sure how dinosaurs were born until explorer Roy Chapman Andrews found a nest of fossilized dinosaur eggs in the Gobi Desert in 1923. Andrews is believed to be the inspiration for Indiana Jones.
- The largest dinosaur egg ever discovered was 19 inches long, and the smallest was 3 centimeters long. Approximately 40 types of dinosaur eggs have been discovered so far.
- The first Stegosaurus skeleton was discovered in Morrison, Colorado. This area, known as Dinosaur Ridge, was designated a National Natural Landmark in 1973, and the tracks of nearly 80 different dinosaurs are preserved on the ridge.
- It is believed that the extinction of the dinosaurs was caused by an asteroid hitting the Yucatan Peninsula. Researchers estimate that the asteroid was 6 miles in diameter, and it caused a crater that was 112 miles wide. The impact of this crater most likely caused earthquakes, landslides, and tsunamis.
- Dinosaur teeth were discovered in China 3,500 years, but people thought they were dragon teeth because no one knew about dinosaurs back then.
Dinosaurs are a fascinating subject, so it’s no wonder they’ve been so present in pop culture over the years. It all started with Gertie and Godzilla, then there was The Flintstones, Land of the Lost, Barney and Friends, Dinosaurs (which spawned the popular ‘90s catchphrase “Not the mama!), The Land Before Time, and Jurassic Park. With Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom set to come out this summer, dinosaur costumes are going to be huge this Halloween. If you, your child, or your dog would like to be a dinosaur this year, you’ll find what you need at Costume SuperCenter. T-Rex, Stegosaurus, Triceratops, Indominus Rex…you name it, we’ve got it. We even have dinosaur fossil costumes! Our selection is dino-mite!