By definition, leprechauns are mischievous little fairies. They are known to be shoemakers who hoard their earnings in a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. These wily little guys are hard to catch but if you are fortunate enough to do so, they must grant you three wishes in exchange for their release.
With St. Patrick’s Day fast approaching, you must get ready and be on the lookout. The information that follows will help you know how to spot and capture a leprechaun and what you need to do to get your three wishes before its too late.
How to Spot a Leprechaun
A leprechaun has a very distinctive look. For starters, they are typically short in stature. However, this is not always the case. There have been many a leprechaun in plain site at the local pub on St. Pat’s day disguised in a men’s leprechaun costume. If you see such a man, look very, every closely into his eyes. You will see a sparkle in a leprechaun’s eyes.
They will be wearing the traditional elfin garb consisting of a green jacket, knickers, shoes with buckles and a top hat. Sometimes they will also wear a vest, bowtie and suspenders. The style will vary by region but one thing they all have in common is the tell-tale red beard.
How to Set a Leprechaun Trap
To catch a leprechaun, you need a good trap. Here is as video that will help you.
What to Do When you Catch a Leprechaun
There are 5 very important things to do (or not do) when you catch a leprechaun:
- Don’t take your eyes off of him for a second. Locking eyes will him is what holds him captive.
- Make your wishes but don’t be too greedy. Asking for his pot of gold is fine but asking for all the gold of all the Leprechauns in the world just isn’t fair to other leprechaun hunters.
- Don’t let him play his bagpipes. They are magical and will put you under their spell.
- Never make a 4th wish. This is a trick. If he asks you to make a fourth wish, it will nullify all your previous wishes.
- A leprechaun in your capture might offer you a pair of hand made shoes. Do not accept them. They are enchanted and will make you dance uncontrollably until you fall asleep, then the leprechaun gets away.
Once St. Patrick’s Day ends, your chances of catching a leprechaun greatly diminish so start hunting now. Don’t let any opportunity to celebrate go to waste because the best time to catch a leprechaun is at a St. Patrick’s Day party.
Good luck and we hope you get your leprechaun, his pot of gold and all your wishes come true.